I baked for you again.
Why? As if I need a reason! Because you’re you and I’m so glad you’ve found your way over to strawberryplum. Plus, it’s Monday and you really look like you could use a little cookie love about now.
And, to be perfectly honest, it wasn’t a completely selfless act. I did manage to combine four of my favorite ingredients into one awesome sandwich cookie. Let’s hear it for oatmeal, espresso, sea salt, and Nutella.
Prepare for cookie action. Softened butter, sugars, oatmeal, egg, flour, espresso powder.
Put it all together. You know the drill. Cream the butter and sugar, add an egg, finish with dry ingredients.
Roll your dough into uniform balls. Normally, I’m not too precise, but today I’m going to sandwich these cookies so I want them to be fairly similar in size. Press and flatten dough balls. I’m going to sprinkle mine with some flaky sea salt because I like my sweets a little salty and my savories a little sweet.
Bake, cool. You could stop right here, grab the milk, and get down to cookie eating…
…or you could be like me and get a little cookie-kooky. I’m about to define the term “gilding the lily”.
Ahhh…my cookie fantasy, come to life. What a world.
- 1 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Espresso Powder
- ¾ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 14 Tbsp. (1¾ sticks) Butter, softened
- ½ c. Granulated Sugar
- ½ c. Light Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2½ c. Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Flaky Sea Salt (optional), to taste
For the Filling
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- ⅓ c. Nutella (chocolate- hazelnut spread)
- ⅓ c. Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp. Espresso Powder
- pinch Sea Salt
- Heat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Combine flour, 1 tsp. espresso powder,baking soda, baking powder, and ½ tsp. salt in medium bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add egg and vanilla, beat to combine.
- On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Stir in oats.
- Form 1 Tbsp. balls of dough and flatten slightly with juice glass. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before sandwiching.
- For the filling- Whip together butter, Nutella, powdered sugar, espresso powder, and pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Spread filling on bottoms of half the batch of cookies and place another cookie on top to sandwich.