I’ll bake for the fun of it, I’ll bake for company, I’ll bake for you when you’re sad or sick.
I’ll also bake to bait.
Why did I bake this beautiful coffee cake today?
I’m totally baiting.
But don’t worry, this cake is for a good cause.
I’m using it to remind my boyfriend that some things are more important than going in to the office on the weekends. Sleeping late, wearing sweaters and taking walks, spending an afternoon at the dog park, reading the newspaper in jammies while eating your favorite fall flavors baked into a cake. Personal sanity and mental heath make the list, too.
I think this coffee cake will do trick. Who would choose work over digging into a spicy, nutty slice of pumpkin cake with cream cheese and streusel?
Time to get started. Lots of steps, but none are difficult.
Cream cheese goodness, check.
Let’s go on the streusel.
We’d better batter.
Put it all together.
Bake and cool. Patience, patience.
Weekend breakfast bliss. Have another cup of coffee, do the crossword puzzle. You can work on Monday.
For the Cake
- 3 c. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Cardamom
- ½ tsp. Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp. Allspice
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1 15 oz. can Pumpkin
- ½ c. Buttermilk
- ½ c. Sour Cream
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 4 Eggs
For the Streusel
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- ½ c. Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ c. All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 c. Pecan Halves
For the Cream Cheese Topping
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, softened
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ c. Light Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a tube pan.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Cut in chilled butter until crumbly. Add pecans halves. Set aside.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and brown sugar until light and creamy. Add a splash of milk in nessecary. Set aside.
- Whisk to combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and spices in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whick together pumpkin, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 5 minutes on high speed. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- With mixer on low speed, add a third of the dry ingredients, mix until combined, followed by half of the pumpkin mixture, and repeat, mixing until just blended.
- Spread half of the cake batter into prepared pan and sprinkle on half of the pecan struesel. Spread the remaining batter on top and evenly dollop on cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with remaining struesel.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 1 hour. Allow to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes.